We’re expanding reality
Current smartphones are equipped with everything needed to create added value for the user by means of augmented reality (AR) – interaction between the virtual world (of information) and real-life situations in real time. wonderkind’s augmented reality apps tap the full potential of the latest smartphone technology. The combination of GPS, tilt sensors, compass and video camera enables users to link information with a relevant, live video image.
Location-based augmented reality
Depending on the user’s location, he or she can view filtered live information, known as points of interest (POIs). Different POIs are linked to the user’s video image, based on the direction in which the user is pointing his or her mobile device.
- Services connected with a specific address (e.g., real estate listings): The app shows which apartments are available on the street where the user is operating the device. Augmented reality for house hunters.
- Attractions, tourist information: A tourist app is greatly enhanced when the user is able to view attractions, hotels or other tourism points of interest, including the directions – all based on the user’s location.
Image-based augmented reality
With the help of image-based AR, the live camera image is analyzed in real time, allowing elements of the image to be recognized, if applicable. For example, 3D elements, text or videos can be placed over an image element, providing the user with remarkable added value through “augmented reality”:
- Enhancing cover pages on print media: The app recognizes the cover image and can, for example, play a related video clip.
- Context information: Art galleries and exhibitions can use apps to present visitors with additional information about particular works of art.
- Development of interactive 2D/3D games: The combination of live camera images and virtual 2D/3D objects – such as 3D real estate, aircraft or people – allows for the implementation of innovative app concepts.
The way these two techniques perfectly complement each other is currently evident in Berlin. On behalf of the city’s Green Party, wonderkind has converted the election campaign “Da müssen wir ran” (“We have to tackle this”) into an augmented reality app.
The "Da müssen wir ran” app from iTunes